Rodeo Grounds Block Club
The Rodeo Grounds Neighborhood Block Club organized in 1997 with the help of Neighborhood Housing Services of the Black Hills. It is named for the Days of ’76 Rodeo Grounds located in the center of the neighborhood. Historically this area was part of Deadwood’s First Ward following the incorporation of Deadwood in 1881. First Ward once was classified as the industrial ward due to the numerous mills, reduction works and a bottling plant located in the area. The Rodeo Grounds neighborhood is now home to many houses, parts of the walking trail and several apartments.
We have been proud of our efforts to all work together. We try to hold meetings twice a year to plan socials and projects. We participate in Plant the Town by planting flowers in Railroad Park. We have also planted flowers in the area that our sign is in and tubs on the McKinley Street bridge. The last few years we have had several volunteers work on improving the small Railroad Park located on Railroad Street. We planted flowers and the City assisted by planting new grass and completing a new retaining wall. A horseshoe pit was added but lost to the improvements, we hope to replace it. Throughout the years we have often cleaned up Whitewood Creek, with help from the youth baseball and soccer organizations.
Each August finds our club in conjunction with the Burnham Hill Block Club holding a picnic for the neighborhoods. After Thanksgiving, volunteers decorate the light poles throughout the neighborhood with red and white rope lights. Our ‘theme’ for the neighborhood is ‘Candy Cane Lane’. Several years ago we placed a sign welcoming people to the Rodeo Grounds neighborhood on McKinley Street and we place a Christmas decoration with that sign of a Candy Cane Arch. Each December we hold a Christmas Social again usually with the Burnham Hill folks to celebrate the holidays.